Wednesday, June 24

The Road Goes on Forever, but the Party Never Began

THE MIDWEST AT ITS WORST

I am going to try something different on this post. Since I spent +14 hours behind the wheel with no real scenic stops, I am going to post videos of my reactions from each state that I crossed today. I think this will provide you with a better feel for the day as opposed to me writing about it.



State #1: IOWA
Now, for all it is worth Iowa is a beautiful state. The West side of the state is blessed with rolling hills, beautiful farms, and even a ski hill (all 320 vertical feet of it). However, what Iowa also has is the worlds most inept DOT (department of transportation). For some reason they have decided to close I-29 every 5 miles and make traffic share either the North or South bound lanes for +200 miles. The best part is I didn't see ANY work being done on the roads that were so conveniently closed. Apparently the ex-director of the DOT now owns a coning company and his severance package included $8.3 million dollars worth of work. Thanks Iowa for starting off my day in the tank!




State #2: MISSOURI
Congratulations Missouri! In 2006 you won the Gold Medal from the National Department of Transportation for Roadway Care & Maintenance (seriously, they have a plaque - and some of the most beautiful medians in the country). However, you forgot to alert the DMV that your citizens need to learn how to drive on your immaculate roads! I have never been so bullied, drafted, tailgated, cut-off, run over, zipped past, pushed off the road more in my life. I felt like I was on the Autobahn, only my respect level was that of a unicycle. After one road hog cut me off, I glanced at the licence plate and caught the state motto detailed on it: "The Show Me State" - ain't that the truth. I have never been shown the 'finger' more in my life! Kudos Missouri - you just topped my list of states I will never drive through again!




State #3: ILLINOIS
I swear, as soon as you cross the Missouri river into Illinois, your world changes. I would attribute it to crossing from East to West Germany during the Communist Era. Illinois was filled with open farm land, was vacant of trashy in-your-face billboards and provided a comforting feeling after going through hell for the past +8 hours. I cruised along in our current President's state with a small sense of patriotism and was amazed at how beautiful flat, open country could be. Well done Illinois! You got me out of my funk.




State #4: INDIANA
This was my first trip through Indiana and I was pleasantly surprised. It was nostalgic of Southwest Virginia with rolling, tree covered hills, winding roads, and the most beautiful sunset of the trip. In honor of the Samples, I popped in "Indiana" and began to truly understand what they were singing about. Bravo Indiana, you are #2 (after Wyoming) on my Most Beautiful States Visited on this trip.

Until tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Geoff, once again man, you are scaring me! Hang up and drive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is there a law in Iowa against shirts while driving? As far as I can see, you would have been "that guy" with his shirt off driving near me...

    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete