Friday, August 21

To the Summit

AS HIGH AS YOU CAN GET

(Mt Sherman Summit Ridge)

At 10,430 feet and home to the Mining Hall of Fame, Leadville, CO is the highest incorporated city in America and our jumping off point on our way to the Mt Sherman trail head. Colorado's 45th highest peak was our goal for the morning and if successful it would be the first fourteener for all my hiking companions. I joined Michael, Taylor and Kathy, Michael's mother, on a bluebird sky morning up the two-mile trail that lead almost directly to the summit. The scree strewn trail featured a handful of switchbacks towards the middle of the climb which created mild relief and an opportunity for each of us to lay bent over, in an attempt to catch our breath.

(Lunch at the Mt Sherman Saddle)

At a little over two miles in length this hike pails in comparison to other fourteeners in Colorado, but the thin mountain air can quickly dehydrate the body and limit the flow of blood to the muscles making it seem 10 times further than it really is. We stopped half way-up to dine on PB&J sandwiches and granola bars before making our final summit push. Along the way we passed a handful of other hikers, most with dogs which required us to try and heard our overly adventurous pack of three purebred poodles and one lone Austrailian Shepard. We required a wide birth as we inched closer to the top and luckily we never had to break-up any squabbles between rival dog gangs, I do not think any of us would have had the energy.

(The Summit is in Sight)

After two miles and nearly 2,000 feet of elevation gain we topped out on the Mosquito Range's 5th highest peak; Mt Sherman 14,036 ft. There is definitely a sense of reward when you reach the top of any mountain, but there is a little bit more satisfaction when you can summit something over 14,000 feet. This was my second fourteener and I would love to one day climb them all - maybe I can focus on this after I finish my National Park quest.

(Mt Sherman Summit 14,036 ft)

On top we snapped a team photo, including our dog pack, before retreating back down trail to the comfort of our car. The hard pounding of the rock laden trail beat-up everyone, including our four legged friends who all passed out for the full length of our nearly two hour drive back to Edwards, it was the quietest I had ever heard them.

Back at home we vegged out on the sofa and watched a bevy of movies before munching on some award winning Chinese food. I tried to fight sleep so that I could squeeze every last minute out of my time with Michael and Taylor. Shortly before 10:30 pm I gave up the battle and caved into the Sandman's relenting pull and slipped off to bed. My trip was closing in on its end and I want to be sure that I am maximizing the remaining hours I have before returning to Vegas.

Until Tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment