Thursday, July 30

The Open Road

CORN ANYONE?

(The Perfect Kansas Back Road)

Of the 50 states I think Kansas gets the worst wrap when it comes to topography. Everyone always says it is flat, boring and filled with nothing more than rows of corn. These are all true statements, but there is something intriguing about Kansas that I think the average person misses.

Seven years ago I traveled I-70 on my way out to Vegas in the dead of winter. By the time I reached Kansas it was cold, overcast and everything was harvested and covered in a thin layer of snow. I had gone into this trip with a negative premonition on our 15th state based on what everyone had told me, but to be honest, it was not as bad as people made it out to be. Eastern Kansas was filled with rolling hills, quaint farm towns and one of the coolest college campuses I had ever visited; Lawrence, KS home of the University of Kansas. The sky was open and free from power lines and the people were warm and friendly. I ended up spending the night in Lawrence and toured the campus extensively. I was so impressed that had I visited years earlier, I may have selected it as my school of choice.

Now, seven years later I was eager to revisit Lawrence and see the rest of Kansas - this time in the summer. My journey along I-70 was short lived as I split off onto side roads in search America's heartland at work. I revisited Lawrence and spent the morning walking up and down main street and taking in one of their infamous sidewalk sales. I perused the hundreds of vendors before retreating to the car and venturing north to Manhattan and visiting in-state rival Kansas State. I was surprised to find a university that rivaled the beauty and panache of Virgina Tech. Their limestone buildings and expansive open space made me do a double take and make sure I hadn't ventured back to Blacksburg. To top off their premier college atmosphere their near perfectly planned downtown offered up one of the best BBQ sandwiches of the trip; Pat's Blue Ribbon BBQ.

(Kansas Sunflower Field at Sunset)

Fat and happy I departed Manhattan and pointed the car West towards Boulder, CO, my destination for the night. Along the way I stopped to photograph the Kansas sunset before watching the farmers return from harvesting their summer wheat. Kansas is a special place and one that deserves the credit it is due.

Until Tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment