Thursday, July 30

We're Not in Kansas Anymore

ROCKY MOUNTAIN HIGH

With over 300 named mountain ranges and the most number of peaks over 10,000 feet, Nevada is the countries most mountainous state. You would probably demand a recount after visiting Colorado. Once you hit Denver and the Front Range, there is no denying that the Rocky Mountains dominate this states landscape. With 56 peaks over 14,000 feet and the backbone of the Continental Divide running down the center of the state, Colorado is the hands down favorite to be crowned "The Mountain State". They even have a John Denver song in their honor for goodness sake.

My first stop in Rocky Mountain country was the idealistic town of Boulder. For all intensive purposes Boulder is America's most "perfect" city. Clean air, great schools, endless access to a variety of outdoor activities just out your backdoor and the greatest concentration of fit people per capita in the world. The only problem that I have with Boulder is that it is so perfect that it almost seems fake. Not the facade or the amenities, but the people. I feel like for every true triathlete, mountain biker, rock climber or trail runner there are 50 wannabees. You know, the people who buy a bike rack for their car just because everyone else has one or the people that wear a Gore-Tex jacket because it matches their shoes, not because it will keep them safe from the elements. It just kind of bugs me. Even their society of down-and-outs (bums) were relatively clean - they even smelled better than me.

After departing the fantasy world of Boulder I headed to Estes Park, gateway to Rocky Mountain National Park. This would be my first true visit to the park. My last visit seven years ago was cut short due to road closures and I have been eagerly awaiting the return trip. I have heard that Rocky Mountain is one of the most amazing National Parks and that the drive up and over the Continental Divide is one of the most memorable drives that you will ever do.

(Rocky Mounatin National Park)

I arrived at the park around 11 am and planned on doing a trail run in the Bear Lake region. I parked at the shuttle stop and was bussed up to the Bear Lake Trail Head where my goal was to link together an 8 mile trail run that would finish-up at the Fern Lake Trail Head just in time to grab the shuttle back to my car. For the most part the trail was all downhill and passed scenic vistas filled with retreating snowfields, pristine mountain lakes and bloated creeks filled with late summer snow melt. The trail was rocky and narrow, but slowing down was not an option. The air was filled with swarms of mosquitoes and anything short of a brisk walk would risk suffocation from the swarms, so I ran the full 8 miles, stopping only to let the occasional hiker pass in the opposite direction.

(Rocky Mountain National Park - Forest Canyon)

Back at the car I rested my sore legs and took an all too familiar "cooler shower", one that involves dumping water into the cooler and then opening it up on my head to hopefully wash away some of the foul smell that has attached itself to me. For those of you that find yourself traveling for long periods of time without access to a proper shower, take this advice. You will always "feel" clean if you can be sure to keep your teeth brushed, hair washed and nether regions dry. I have traveled extensively and have found that a clean mouth, head and buttock region can keep your moral high when all else looks bleak. (There's your free travel advice for the day)

(Scenic view from Colorado 2 - "The Ultimate Back Road")

On the way out of the park I took highway 34 over the Continental Divide and exited through the West Gate and into the heart of the Colorado River headwaters, an area so beautiful that it topped my list of the most scenic places on my trip. Colorado 2, better known as the "Trough Road" was my route to happiness and the ultimate back road. A mixture of dirt, gravel and spotty pavement, it forces the driver to slow down and appreciate the scenery that includes numerous high mountain passes and rustic bridges that cross the narrow banks of the Colorado.

My destination for the day is the small town of Edwards, CO - home to one of the greatest guys in the whole world and one of my best friends, Michael Brownlee. From what I hear he has a full agenda planned so I am excited to get there and finish my trip off with a gammet of outdoor adventures.

Until Tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment